Saturday, 25 June 2016

Audience - Uses and gratifications theory

Personal Identification:
I often listen to songs that reflect the mood I am in. I feel it helps me to express myself and take me out of a bad mood. For example when I am feeling angry I like to listen heavy metal as the chaotic music helps me to get a grip and perspective as to why I am angry. I can then listen to more upbeat and feel good music to help pick up my mood. I would often play my music really loud whenever my brother annoyed me in the hope that it would annoy him as well.

Information:
I often listen to educated rappers like 'Tyler the Creator' and 'ScHoolboy Q' who have been described as "lyrical masters of rap and hip hop.". Because they use more educated lyrics and words I have never heard I learn new vocabulary from listening to them.

Entertainment:
Recently one of my favourite groups 'Migos' had a song and dance move go creative and was huge in 2015-2016. The 'dab' was a massive part of 2015-2016 and coming from one of my favourite groups meant that I knew about it before most other people did. Also seeing my friends 'dab' at parties is always entertaining.

Social Interaction:
Me and my friends all like similar music and so when we are together we like to play certain songs that remind us of memories, such as a favourite song from our first festival together. Moreover when I am skating we all often play music, and we share songs with each other, finding that I have a similar music taste to my skating friends allowed me to mix in with the group very easily.

Escapism:
Much like personal identification music provides me with a way to escape how bad my day has been or whatever mood I am in. Often when I am annoyed I like to listen to my favourite songs really loudly and shut the world out.

Companionship:
When me and my friends go for a drive anywhere we like to listen to music to help pass the time of the journey, we also like to show each other new songs we have found. I feel music helps me and my friends to connect and ensures we don't get bored on long journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment